Wardell Potts Jr. is a drummer, songwriter and producer whose list of credits includes three # 1 songs, several top 10 hits, and numerous new beats for some of R & B’s most memorable bands. His professional career started when he was chosen at an audition held by Leon Silvers. Leon was looking for a drummer to join his new group called “Dynasty.” He went on to become the house drummer for Solar Records, recording drums for Shalamar, The Whispers, Carrie Lucas, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Janet Jackson and Glenn Jones. The first song he recorded with The Whispers produced platinum status, called “And the Beat Goes On”. The second song he recorded with Shalamar, “Second Time Around”, also achieved platinum success. He recorded drums on the # 1 hit “Miami” the Big Willie Style album by Will Smith and “Bring It All To Me” by recording artist Blaque.
Wardell Potts achieved commercial success when his composition “Show me the Way” became a # 1 hit as Regina Belle’s first single ever. He also composed the # 1 hit “Keep on Lovin Me” by the Whispers. “What’s it Gonna Be” a song Potts co-wrote with Anne Preven appears on Jellybean’s dance album “Spillin the Beans”, which was the first single released, and was the # 1 hit on the dance charts at that time. The track features lead vocals by Nikki Harris who was one of Madonna’s Back-up singers on the Blonde Ambition Tour. Recently he co-wrote and produced the song “She’s just a Child” for the movie, Woman Thou Art Loosed on the 7th day starring Blaire Underwood and executive produced T.D. Jakes. Also he wrote a song for the movie Remember Sunday on lifetime TV and the ABC network. Since 2005, Wardell has actively participated in worship as lead drummer for Rosewood Christian Reformed Church.
Awards-certified by the Record Industry Association of America
1. Gold Album – To commemorate the sale of more than 500,000 copies of the Solar Records “Love for Love” album by the Whispers.
2. Platinum Sales Award – To commemorate the sale of more than 1,000,000 copies of the MCA Records album and cassette “The Jets”.
3. Silver Certified Sales Award – To recognize sales in the United Kingdom of more than 300,000 copies of the RCA Album “Between the Lines” by Five Starr.
4. Gold Album – To commemorate the sale of more than 500,000 copies of the Solar Records long playing album “Three For Love” By Shalamar.
5. Gold Sales Award – To commemorate the sale of more than 500,000 copies of the A&M Records album and Cassette “As The Band Turns” By Atlantic Starr.
6. The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers honored Wardell Potts Jr., writer of “Show Me The Way” By Regina Belle which reached the top ten on the Black Music Charts.